Monday, January 9, 2012

MFTWSC53

Hi all!

This is my submission for challenge #53, MFTWSC53, over at the My Favorite Things blog.

I needed a get well soon card for a guy who raises (breeds?!)  orchids. I couldn't make the card frilly and glittery, but I went ahead and colored the orchid image with beautiful colors and kept the rest of the card masculine.

Here's the card:



Here's how I created the main image area: I traced a circle onto a white piece of Neenah white card stock and then stamped the orchid stamp by Flourishes using Memento in Tuxedo Black. I stamped the orchid image onto a piece of scrap paper and masked the image, then sponged in VersaMagic ink in wheat using a sponge dauber. After that I inked up a script background and stamped over the whole thing. I left the coloring for last because if I had colored first and then somehow messed up the masking I would have burst out crying.

I hand cut the circles using my red liner tape roll as a template, and also hand cut the banner shape. I used the Niagara Mist to stamp the sentiment, and then inked the edges with the wheat and rich cocoa colors.

I'll explain which Copic colors I used.
The yellow petals used W1 and Y26 for shading. The base yellow color was Y06 and the slightly darker areas were Y06. I blended a bit with Y02.
The frilly petals with the pink used these colors from dark to light: RV19, RV17, RV09, RV06. The orchids have the lightest pink at the edges and the color deepens as you go further in the petal. The yellow areas on the petals with pink used (from dark to light) Y26, Y06, Y02 and Y00. These actually go backwards from the pink color order. The color is lightest at the base/center and then deepens as it goes out to meet the RV. I colored the pink areas from the outside of the petal to inwards, and then those yellow parts I colored also from the outside darkest areas using the Y26 down to Y00 at the very bottom center of the petal. The leaves were colored from darkest to lightest using these colors: YG67 as my darkest, G07 as the middle color and then YG17 as the lightest. You'll notice some orange on the very center of the flowers: those were YR07 and a tiny bit of YR68.

Now for the supplies:

card stock: Papertrey Ink in kraft and dark chocolate; darker kraft card stock that came with a Flourishes order as filler inside the envelope; the dark green is the backside of a bazzil bling card stock. It has mottled color instead of a smooth green.
patterned paper: unknown double sided paper from scrap bin
stamps: Flourishes- Orchids; Stampabilities- Le London Script; Urban Design- Communique Curves Sentiments
ink: Memento in Tuxedo Black; Versamagic in Niagara Mist and Wheat; Memento in Rich Cocoa
Copic colors: Y00, Y02, Y06, Y08, Y26, W1, YG17, YG67, G07, RV06, RV09, RV17, RV19


Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment